Applications close: January 31 2020. (We reserve the right to interview and appoint before the closing date).
Salary: £30,000 – £35,000 (dependent on skills and experience)
The British Chambers of Commerce is recruiting a Press and Communications Officer
The successful candidate will play a key role in shaping a national voice for our business communities across broadcast, print and digital media.
Working to multiple and tight deadlines, day-to-day duties include drafting reactive media comments; writing press releases; liaising with and pitching stories to national and trade journalists; coordinating with Chambers on case studies and messaging; and creating plans to support our proactive campaigns.
The candidate will also drive the BCC’s digital offering, including social media, video editing and maintaining the company’s website, as well as compiling media statistics and analysis.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading on proactive press releases and drafting reactive media comment relating to key government announcements, economic statistics and BCC research
- Developing proactive media plans as part of the broader communications strategy and campaign work
- Promoting BCC policy positions and proactive outputs to media and key external stakeholders
- Organising broadcast opportunities and prepare briefs to support BCC spokespeople
- Developing digital content for external and internal purposes, aligned to our presswork, including filming videos, creating engaging social media content and updating the website
- Keeping on top of the news agenda and maintaining relationships with media contacts, to monitor upcoming announcements and areas for comment
- Working with colleagues at all levels internally across the Chamber Network to support them in media efforts, provide toolkits around proactive BCC messaging, share best practice, and field case study requests
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate to a wide variety of audiences
- Able to build strong, existing relationships with media contacts
- Digital skills and a strong social media interest
- Ability to make sound judgments, and understanding of what makes a good news story
- Knowledge of, or ability to develop knowledge of, important business-related issues across a range of policy areas
- Strong organisational and planning skills, and demonstrable experience of multi-tasking and prioritising work to fit with tight deadlines
More details on the role are available in the job description
All applications must have a CV and cover letter of no more than two sides setting out how their skills and experience meet the criteria in the job description.
Applications close at 11:59pm on January 31 2020. We reserve the right to interview and appoint before the closing date.
Please submit applications by email here.