Press and Communications Officer based London (St James Park), offering a salary of £30,000 to £35,000 (depending on skills and experience).
- 25 days holiday entitlement, increasing by 1 day each year up to a maximum of 27 days plus 8 statutory bank holidays
- Company pension offering: 6% Employer pension contribution, 3% employee pension contribution
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme (PMI) or Westfields Cash Plan
- Death in service x 3 of your salary
- Season Ticket Loan
The role of Press and Communications Officer:
The Press and Communications Officer role will contribute to and drive the organisation’s objectives through sustained creative media strategies. With a focus on integrated media plans to support a strong campaigning approach, this role will contribute to creating positive change for business.
In the current environment it’s more important than ever to champion the voice of business, proactively leading the conversation on the issues that matter most and commenting on key announcements and policy developments from Westminster and around the country, as well as monitoring economic trends and showcasing the great work of members across our business communities.
Working to multiple and tight deadlines, day to day duties include drafting reactive media comments; writing press releases; liaising with and pitching stories to national and trade journalists; coordinating with Chambers on case studies and messaging; and creating plans to support our proactive campaigns.
Furthermore, as part of the small team, the candidate will drive the British Chambers of Commerce' (BCC) digital offering, including social media, video editing and maintaining the company’s website, as well as compiling media statistics and analysis.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead on proactive press releases and draft reactive media comment relating to key government announcements, economic statistics and BCC research
- Develop proactive media plans as part of the broader communications strategy and campaign work
- Promote BCC policy positions and proactive outputs to media and key external stakeholders
- Organise broadcast opportunities and prepare briefs to support BCC spokespeople
- Develop digital content for external and internal purposes, aligned to our presswork, including filming videos, creating engaging social media content and updating the website
- Keeping on top of the news agenda and maintaining relationships with media contacts, to monitor upcoming announcements and areas for comment
- Work with colleagues at all levels internally across the Chamber Network to support them in media efforts, provide toolkits around proactive BCC messaging, share best practice, and field case study requests
- Identify, pitch and develop thought-leadership opportunities and draft opinion articles and letters to the editor from key spokespeople
- Compile and proof-read internal and external communications
- Flexible to be on-call for media relations outside of normal hours
- Adhere to company policies and procedures
- Any other duties as required that are appropriate to the scope of the role
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate to a wide variety of audiences
- Able to build strong, existing relationships with media contacts
- Digital skills and a strong social media interest
- Ability to make sound judgements, and understanding of what makes a good news story
- Knowledge of, or ability to develop knowledge of, important business-related issues across a range of policy areas
- Strong organisational and planning skills, and demonstrable experience of multi-tasking and prioritising work to fit with tight deadlines
- Attention to detail, good proof-reading skills and ability to adapt writing styles for different channels
- Capability to be a self-starter but also a team-player that can work closely with colleagues in the public affairs, policy, marketing and commercial departments
- A hard-working attitude, and the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and under pressure
Computer literacy skills:
- Microsoft proficiency: Outlook, Word, Excel
- Social Media sites: Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Experience with CRM and CMS systems is desirable
Hours of work:
- Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week (We will consider job share working part time for this role)
- Flexibility to be on-call for media relations outside of normal working hours including being part of weekend on-call rota (usually 1 in 3 weekends)
The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) is one of the country’s leading business organisations. It is the national body for a powerful and influential network of 53 Accredited Chambers of Commerce. At this critical time for business and the country, BCC has been an influential voice on a range of key issues. We are ambitious about growing our impact and reach on behalf of our members.
The Chambers are private organisations that sit at the heart of the local business community providing representation, services, information and guidance to its members.
The BCC also works closely with a growing global network of British Chambers of Commerce and other business organisations that are affiliate members of the BCC.
We are now currently recruiting for agile, passionate, driven and flexible individuals who want to join our team and contribute to the success of our business and add value where it matters.